Running a meeting
Running or chairing a meeting can be daunting, especially if it is your first time. Here are some simple tips that might help to keep you, and your meeting, on track:
- Be organised, write and share a timed agenda beforehand and stick to it!
- Agree ground rules for meetings
- Be clear about what the PPG meeting is for by developing terms of reference
- Keep to time
- Agree roles and responsibilities – one person cannot do everything
- Encourage people to take part, but manage them if they are taking up too much of the meeting time
- Share the job of taking minutes and writing a up action points
- Always review action points from the last meeting – and make sure they are being acted upon!
- Summarise key points as you go along so that everyone is clear what has been agreed
- Don’t forget to have fun. PPG members are volunteers so whilst you want to get the business done it doesn’t hurt to have a light hearted approach to getting the work done.
This toolkit includes:
Don’t forget – new PPG members will not know these so you might want to develop an induction pack including this information.